Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Producing a good tone

I'll make it simple with this part. Being a flutist myself, I do believe that the tone is the most important thing as a musician. No one wants to know how good is your technical skills if they turn off their ears right after the first note you play. Well, a picture's worth a thousand words, so I'll use pictures/diagrams to explain how does my point works

Alright, if you dont have any idea what I drew up there. Let me explain. As shown in the diagram. There red oval is your mouth, the blue is the flute's tone hole. The lines are the air you blow when u play the flute. Most ppl would blow to every single part. Thus fulfilling both part A and B. This would cause a hissing sound or an air sound when u play the flute. The point here is to blow only at point B(which includes only the dark green part). This would ensure that there wouldn't be excess air around the tone hole which causes the hissing sound. The term used here is 'focusing the air' towards the tone hole. Blow it INTO the hole with a very solid and fast air stream. This would provide a sound more 'solid' and 'full'

No comments:

Post a Comment